Sunday, November 13, 2011

Macbook Air 2011 November-December

Read the December 29 update at the bottom.
So, I purchased the Macbook Air 13" 128G HD 4G RAM yesterday. Wow, it's beautiful, sharp display, the speed is incredible even comparing to my 1 year old HP 8440p. The battery life, not really tested much, but from what I see it lasts for a few hours. I installed MS Office 2011, Adobe CS5.5, IBM Lotus Notes, Skype, VLC, etc. Problems with Lotus Notes client since yesterday. It works 50% of the time. MS Office works fine; however small menu font drives me nuts! Adobe so far tested a very simple image editing, no problem, for some reason Adobe Acrobat did not install the printer (the pdf maker) Installed a VPN client, not a problem; however, I cannot remember all the servers' IP addresses! Cisco soft phone? no go. Ideally if I could install a remote virtual desktop access, I would not have to bother with the data transfer and deal with the small disk space.
One more thing that I did not like right away; the surface is cold! when I typed a memo in a cold room, my hands almost froze, my HP laptop has a plastic surface and is warmer, not sure if this matters to some but it does to me. I kept constantly rubbing my hands!

The biggest question: what do I do with this laptop? It's definitely a laptop, and fast, but I don't know if this is going to be my main computer for both home and business. For home use, shelling out $1350 is kind of high, if I wanted to use at work and make it work, then yes, but: need a USB - Ethernet dongle, and a monitor connector to start with. Really, really tricky question. Will continue tomorrow after showing off at work. We shall see if this is going to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment